I was at the farmers’ market this morning and couldn’t resist all the beautiful fresh varieties of squash. I realized I’d never made anything with fresh pumpkin before so I came home on a mission to find the perfect pumpkin muffin recipe. Take advantage of the fall harvest by making your own pumpkin puree for these muffins!
Whole Wheat and Honey Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from Pumpkin Wheat Honey Muffins on allrecipes.com.
Makes 12 muffins.
- 1 cup of fresh pumpkin puree (I used this method to make mine)
- 1/2 cup of raisins (soaked for a few minutes to plump them up)
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup of sucanat sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 C. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and sucanat sugar together in a bowl. Combine wet ingredients (pumpkin, honey, oil, eggs) in a well in the middle of the bowl and mix all of the ingredients into a batter. Add raisins. Pour batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 22 minutes or until muffin tops become golden brown and springy.
Sorry for the poor quality photos but my DSLR is on the fritz!